Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Oh, What will it become?


Today, I thought I would walk you thru the whole process from beginning to end on one of my paintings. After looking thru my past blogs, I noticed that I've tended to share paintings that were in process but  never  the whole process, so.... today, is the day for it!

This is a very old picture of where I used to work. It was my first studio spot after we moved out of the Tardis (camper)  and into our rental, so I had very little furniture at the time! However, it's a great photo of how it all begins. I get excited when I put a blank canvas on my easel, because even if I have a general idea of where I want it to go, I never know for sure just which way it will end up!


That used to frustrate me, I used to want to get exactly what was in my head on the canvas. For some reason I thought that meant you were a good artist. Then I remembered the beloved  "happy trees painter" Bob Ross, who always said that mistakes were never a bad thing. They were happy mistakes and they just turn into something else! I loved him, didn't you? Now it no longer bothers me, that what ends up on the canvas may not be exactly what I had in my head. Most of the time I'm happier with the end result than what I planned anyway!

This piece started this way. I knew I wanted mountains, water, a horse overlooking the view and I wanted it have a light feel.


Next I began blocking in. This part always scares me! It sets the tone where everything will go.


Then I added details to the clouds, mountains, added trees and fought with the cliff! I ended up reworking it several times. The first few times it came out as too harsh against the soft background, eventually it worked into this and I was happy with it.   


Next.... the even scarier step! Adding the horse! At this point in a painting, I find it stressful because by now I love it like a child of mine and I've put so much time and effort into it that I'm frightened  I will just ruin the whole thing! (artist insecurity...can't do much about it!) 



  Originally, I was planning on painting a girl standing next to the horse but as I painted the horse an inspiration hit me. A girl huntress on the horse would be perfect! 



Lastly, a few more details, some highlighting, softening of colors and just touching up here and there. This is where you can actually ruin a painting. Adding those little details can end up being over done, so I have to be very careful at this point.  





But...... oh, how happy I am with this! It expressed what I wanted it to. I hope you see whatever makes you feel free of any stress in your life!


  

I love being able to express myself this way, and with each painting I try to stretch, try to improve my technique. I thankyou for being on this journey with me!


Have a really happy day out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment