Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Time for the Garden!



This painting is coming along! Almost all of the aspen trees are finished. My fingers are just itching to get to the last big tree to bring this painting all together. The aspen trees take a really long time and while I've been working on them I thought of a whole new thing to do with aspen trees! But you will just have to wait until I get to a painting where I can try it out for you to see it! I'm gonna keep it a secret for now!

I'm about to have a little give-a-way! I'm working on a small project and will announce what the give-a-way item is on facebook and this blog on Tuesday April 15th. If you want to get a chance at winning the give-a-way you can comment on this blog or comment or like the post on facebook on April the 15th. Your name will go into the famous Mad Hatter hat and whoever I fish out(while blind folded of course!) will be the winner. I'm excited about it!

When we moved into our little house our backyard was full of what is called goat head weeds here in New Mexico and they are vicious, horrible little weeds. You do NOT want to ever step on a goat head! This what I started with.


 
I weeded and weeded and weeded and well you can guess the rest(you know more weeding until I ended up with just sand. Then I laid cardboard(from all the moving boxes) and put mulch on top of that. It helps kill the weeds and adds to the mulching.(there is so much more mulching to do) In New Mexico you have to look at your dirt as a project. It takes a different kind of gardening here. Mulch is absolutely necessary to get dirt that is good for growing things.
Then I planted a few things and they are beginning to grow!
 
 These are my sugar snap peas that I planted as seeds! They are an early plant, they like it to be cooler and they really don't like the high heat so I started wtih these.
 
 
Then I planted some Hollyhocks and sunflowers along the back fence and they are beginning to show some leaves!
 
 
I started on a small raised garden area.
 
 
and inside are strawberry plants! I will of course, be painting the cement blocks and will  lay a screen over the top of these to protect the plants from grasshoppers, birds and the extreme heat of the summer.
 
 
Then I planted tomatos,.....way too early! I got too excited to get the garden going so I've lost a couple of plants but I've faithfully covered them every night and a couple are surviving. There are even two tomatos growing!
 
 
I've also planted lavender, rosemary, chives, cilantro, thyme, oregano and mint but it's still pretty dusty and barren in the backyard. However, I think by the end of the summer there will be life there. I'll share how it progresses as we go along!


Then I moved on to the front yard and weeded and weeded and well you get the picture!. Under all of the weeds there were tiger lillies(I think). After some tender loving care they began to perk up and show some life and now there are a few blooms getting ready to open! I can't wait to see what they will be!

 
Lastly, the front door was a sad, sad, pitiful and boring, beat up affair so I painted it!(of course what else would she do? You're asking yourself right now! hee hee) And.....it's tardis blue!!!
 
 
It's true, paint can cover over a multitude of sins! (And when we move out I will paint it back to the boring beige it was.) Oh, and when living in New Mexico an entrance way is never complete without a chili ristra!
 
 
 
I hope your having a good time in your garden! If it isn't warm enough yet, where you are, I hope you are having fun planning one! Happy gardening everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment